- University City High School
Giving Back and Giving Thanks
Giving back and giving thanks are important during the holiday season.
The School District of University City and our community have a holiday tradition of helping families who are less fortunate. Here are a few notable examples from the 2018 season for which the District and our families are most appreciative:
- All Nations Church, in partnership with The School District of University City, hosted a “Happy Thanks Giveaway” event on Nov. 17, 2018. Church members distributed about 150 meals consisting of 12 lb. frozen turkeys, potatoes and green beans to families in need as identified by the District. Upon receiving their food, the families made an artistic contribution to a Thankful Wall, which will serve as an ongoing visual reminder of gratitude.
- Davidson Surface/Air, Inc. recently donated 400, 100 oz. bottles of laundry detergent for District families (see photo to right). District social workers will have vouchers available for those students and families that need this resource.
- Throughout November, The Gate Church collected toiletry items such as toilet paper, deodorant, and cleaners - and donated 54 baskets for University City school families via District social workers. (photo of donations below)
- Jan O’Brien from MasterCard dropped off donations for Pershing Elementary. Mrs. O’Brien and the staff at MasterCard have been supporting Pershing students for approximately eight years with snacks, hygiene packets, hats, gloves, coats and more.
- All Saints Church donated 12 Turkeys and a box of food that included fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs and more.
- Victory Christian Outreach Church provided 17 families with a turkey and basket of food.
- Oak Hill Presbyterian donated $500 clothing gift cards for Holiday Appeal initiative.
As ways of giving back, students performed various "acts of service" across the community.
- A group of University City High School students, including the boys basketball team, spent the morning of Wednesday, Nov. 21 painting and doing yard work for Ackert Park Nursing home (see photo below).
- Flynn Park students participated in a Turkey Trot to raise funds for their annual Holiday Appeal giving campaign.
- District social workers are collecting gift cards, personal hygiene items, cleaning products, and more for community families. Last year they were able to help 75 families with children in the school district. A typical “adopted” family receives a personal hygiene basket, gift certificate for groceries, laundry soap, toys and clothing for small children or gift cards for clothing for teens. Please contact Christine Woodward at University City High School at 314-290-4114 or email@example.com for more information.
- Watch for more news to come...