- Jackson Park Elementary School
Summer Learning Academy 2020 offers virtual courses through Launch
The School District of University City hosted Zoom parent orientations on May 26 to give parents more information about the array of online Launch courses offered to students rising into grades 1-8 and on June 1 for high school parents. Expectations and content for the courses along with how Launch builds basic skills while also providing online enrichment for students were also shared. Click on links below for more information:
- Quick-Start Guide for students signed up for Launch (PDF)
- May 26 Presentation for elementary and middle school parents (Google Slides)
- June 1 Presentation for high school parent (Google Slides) (Zoom Video)
The School District of University City's Summer Learning Academy will be offered online this summer in response to safety concerns regarding COVID 19. This District summer school program is free and is open to all District students entering grades 1-12.
Registration is now taking place. Parents and students are encouraged to register as early as possible for the program. Registration for 2020 Summer Distance Learning closes on Wed., May 27.
The Academy will run from June 3 through July 31, providing students with nearly two months of supplementary learning. The summer program is open to all students.
In grades 1-5, students have two options depending on academic needs.
- The first will be a grade 1-5 distance learning program with University City teachers focusing on mathematics and English Language Arts. This option will run from June 3 through July 30 and is reserved for students in need of extra support in numeracy and literacy.
- The second option includes two themed virtual Launch options providing academic engagement and enrichment. In June, students in grades 1-5 can enroll in “Your National Park Adventure,” a virtual grand tour of our nation’s natural treasures that targets grade-level science, social studies, math, and reading. In July, students in grades 1- 5 can enroll in “Olympic Tour,” an exploration of athleticism, Olympics history, world cultures and sports that again targets grade-level learning in science, social studies, math and reading instruction.
- For grades 6 through 8, students will be able to enroll in Launch courses focusing on summer enrichment. Courses include Escape, Game On, Outdoor U, and Operation Innovation.
High school summer learning will include online credit recovery programs in Math, English Language Arts, Science and Social Studies courses, in addition to Launch courses in Health, Physical Education and Personal Finance.
To register for the 2020 Virtual Summer Learning Academy and to read full course descriptions, click here.
Contact Susan Hill if you have any further questions.