Emergency School Closing Procedures
Weather and other unexpected events happen. We encourage parents and caregivers to be prepared ahead of time by understanding emergency closing procedures. The School District of University City may opt to close schools when conditions pose a threat to the safety of students and staff.
The decision to close school buildings, delay the start of school or end the school day early is made by the superintendent in consultation with District executive leadership and with other regional superintendents. Unsafe conditions could be related to inclement weather, but they may also be caused by any emergency situation that arises in the District. School days missed due to school closures may have to be made up at the end of the school year as needed.
The superintendent may also decide to call an Alternative Method of Instruction (AMI) day. On AMI days, students learn at home with the assistance of technology, and the day is counted as a school day.
When the decision has been made to close schools or to otherwise alter the school day, the District's Communications Office uses multiple ways to notify the community:
- Robocall/voicemail, text and email via an automated phone system.
- Social media announcements via the District's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter feeds.
- An emergency announcement on the District website homepage.
- Television and radio broadcast tickers (though these are not always reliable).
A few tips to be prepared:
- Updated parent/guardian contact information is vital so you get immediate word about school closures or emergencies. Check that your phone, text and email addresses are all accurate and complete in the Parent Portal. Do not opt-out of District communications on the portal.
- In case of a major emergency, do not telephone your child’s school. Telephone lines may be needed for emergency communication.
- In rare cases, there could be an emergency situation where parents or caregivers are asked to pick up students early from school or at an alternative location. Every family should have a plan for picking up children from school in such a situation. Please make certain that your emergency contact information is updated with information detailing all adults who are authorized to pick up your child.
- Think you’ve missed a SchoolMessenger call or email? Click here for more information.
- Need to update your Parent Portal contacts? Click here for online access to Tyler Parent Portal for Student Information.
- Any questions regarding emergency school closing procedures, please contact the Communications office (314) 290-4001 or email email@example.com.