National Night Out / Back-to-School Rally
Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018 • 5-8:30 p.m.
McNair Campus, 8136 Groby Road (63130)
Groby Rd. will be closed from 81st St. and Gay Ave. to Swarthmore on Aug. 7 from about 1 to 9 p.m. (Note: Date/TIme/Location are subject to change.)
The University City community is invited to help kick off the new school year & celebrate National Night Out ...jump-start the school year, increase neighborhood spirit and strengthen community/police partnerships at this event co-sponsored by the University City Police Department and The School District of University City. Remember: Safe at School - Safe at Home is our theme!
As we are planning this year's event, the committee is looking for community support through booth and volunteer registration. This year's event includes entertainment with a live DJ & dance presentations • Food & Drinks • Safety, Crime & Drug Prevention Information • Bounce Houses • Face Painting • Backpacks with school supplies* • Hair Cuts & Styles • Immunization Clinic (click here for 2018 informational flyer with details) • $15 Student-Athlete Physicals (Chiropractors Dr. Darryl Bradley, UCHS '86, & Dr. Rabia Rafiq) • Robotics Demonstrations • Clothing Boutique • School Supply / Clothing / Tie Donations at School Bus (click here for detail list of donation items) • School Enrollment & other information • Community Booths with UCPD Child Identification kits, first aid kits, voter registration, schools supplies along with so much more!
This event is free and open to the public.
It is presented by the University City Police Department and The School District of University City.
*Distribution of the limited supply of backpacks will require completion of "Passport" with verification of visits to specific aspects of this event.
Want to Donate/Sponsor/Support?
Click here for Police Department's 2018 letter (1-page PDF - updated 051118)
Click here for Superintendent's 2018 letter and donation form (2-page PDF - updated 040418)
Both financial support and school supply donations are always welcome! The University City Police Department relies on donations to cover the cost of food and family activities provided during the event. The school district appreciates donations of school supplies (delivered by July 13) or financial support to help with backpack giveaway and other activities including bounce houses, face painters and more.
Want to Volunteer? Click here for 2018 Online Event Volunteer Registration
NEEDED: Face painters, barbers, hair stylists and other adult or high school student volunteers. Your assistance is needed to help with the various activities being planned to provide a great experience for all. T-shirts are available for volunteers who register by 8 a.m. July 16. Additional volunteers are always welcome, but late volunteer registrants may not get new t-shirts. Volunteers will be contacted prior to the event regarding assigned volunteer opportunity and t-shirt pick up. Additional volunteers are always welcome, but late volunteer registrants may not get new t-shirts. Volunteers will be contacted prior to the event regarding assigned volunteer opportunity and t-shirt pick up.
Want to register for a Booth Table? Click here for 2018 Online Booth Table Reservation Form (Waiting list only as of July 12, 2018)
Registration deadline for booths is 9 a.m. July 23 (or when limited spots are filled, whichever comes first). For a successful event, the following information is provided for those seeking booths:
- Booth table rental is FREE, but space is limited. (Once we reach capacity, registrants will be put on a waiting list.)
- Booth set-up begins an hour prior to event (4 p.m.) to be prepared for visitors following opening ceremony scheduled for 5 p.m. - Booths are asked to not engage with guests until after the opening ceremony. Please encourage them to gather near the bandstand until after opening ceremonies.
- Participants are asked to provide services and giveaways related to the event themes. This year's theme is "Safe at School, Safe at Home."
- In keeping with this event being FREE - participants may not sell food or products/services at the event, however PTOs and school-sponsored clubs/organizations may solicit memberships.
- A table and two chairs are provided for each group. Electricity is not provided. (If you have your own tent and table, please let us know.)
- Participants are responsible for cleaning up and returning the space to its original condition.
- The event committee reserves the right to reject any application or restrict any activity.
- If you need to cancel, email email@example.com by 10 a.m. July 25 - there will be others waiting for your spot. There will be a $50 charge for any booth that is registered, confirmed and not set-up/manned the day of the event.
An email will be sent to confirm booth participation at least two weeks prior to event.
Information Distribution: Please use the Online 2018 Booth Table Reservation Form above if you wish to share information through an un-manned information table. Printed information should be to the Communications office in the McNair building by noon on Friday, prior to the event. All distributed information is subject to approval by District administration. For more information about the flyer approval and criteria procedures, please visit www.ucityschools.org/FlyerProcedures.
Event questions, especially regarding donation/sponsorship/support, please contact the office of Student Services at 314-290-4045 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For volunteer or booth concerns, please email email@example.com.