Learning Reimagined is The School District of University City's vision of excellence for its students, staff and greater community, that enables the District community to Humanize, Personalize and Problematize learning for all students. Learning Reimagined pursues racial equity with our students, staff and families. Learning Reimagined strives for:
- Modern, rigorous and relevant learning experiences for our students and staff.
- Joy and well-being, because students and staff learn and perform best when they are well.
- Excellent staff
- Equitable and responsible use of resources for our students, staff, families and caregivers.
- All hands for student success through key partnerships with parents, the community, community stakeholders and local and national institutions in areas such as business, science, health, medicine, the arts, philanthropies, education.
Learning Reimagined was approved by the University City Board of Education in 2017 after more than a year of stakeholder meetings, national reviews of best practices, community meetings and more. Click here for a printable brochure on Learning Reimagined.
Now in its fourth year of implementation under the leadership of Superintendent Sharonica Hardin-Bartley, Ph.D., PHR, Learning Reimagined is a powerful driver of the educational experience and school culture in The School District of University City. Learning Reimagined is laser-focused on social-emotional wellness, authentic and heartfelt relationships, racial equity, nurturing student voice and social action, increased measurement and continues improvement of school and student academic performance, and teacher support for leadership and improvement. Under Learning Reimagined, the District operates with the mantra Heart of a Lion, reflecting the courage, strength, love and authenticity of a thriving educational community with tremendous pride.
- Creation of a Portrait of a Graduate highlighting the key qualities that must be present in all graduates.
- Intensive increases in community funding streams enabling an Early College Experience program; unique student learning experiences; increased social emotional programming and supports for students, staff and families; and continuous leadership improvement among administrators and staff.
- Implementation of Panorama, a social emotional measurement of student, parent and staff well-being that can be tracked at the building and student level for immediate intervention and increased supports.
- Ongoing partnership with Alive & Well Communities for increased training in trauma-informed practices and the recognition of the trauma of racial inequity.
- Ongoing work and mentorship in recognizing, analyzing and remediating racial bias in classrooms.
- Professional development partnerships in math, science and leadership development with Washington University, University of Missouri-St. Louis, Saint Louis University and others.
- Increased student pathways to business, medicine, health care, and high-paying trades and apprenticeships.
- Increased partnerships with signature St. Louis institutions and businesses to bring further relevant and modern learning to our students. Partners include COCA, The Magic House, Missouri Botanical Garden and businesses like World Wide Technology, Deloit and Daugherty Business Solutions.
- Increased student-led initiatives in entrepreneurship, restorative practices, sustainability and social justice.
- Continued use and acceptance of Restorative Justice in conflict resolution.
- Increased school-based wellness activities, including mindfulness, yoga and student-led community-building initiatives.
- National and local recognition.