An Honor Like No Other!
Friday, September 29, 2023
University City High School
7401 Balson Avenue • University City, MO 63130
Click here for PDF of event program with bios, photos and sponsors.
Watch for video of the Induction Ceremony to come.
Celebration tickets are available online via Eventbrite (UCHS-HOF-2023.eventbrite.com) through Sept. 25, 2023.
Early-bird single tickets and donations for student tickets are $50 per person if purchased by Sept. 15, 2023.
Prospective event sponsors - please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
News release updated with biographies!
20 To Be Inducted into the University City High School Fame on September 29, 2023
(Updated 090523) University City, MO - The School District of University City is delighted to announce 20 individuals have been selected to be inducted into the prestigious University City High School Hall of Fame this fall.
These University City High School graduates have made a tremendous difference locally, nationally and internationally and join dozens of other notable honorees who have helped to shape the world. This year’s inductees include a physician who rose to become the first Black full professor at Harvard Medical School, accomplished professional athletes in tennis and basketball, a first graduate of University City High School, and a leader in midwifery striving to diminish health inequities by improving access to maternal care. The celebration and formal induction of University City High School’s finest graduates will take place the Friday evening of Homecoming Weekend, September 29, 2023, at University City High School.
The new inductees are:
- Karl Van Meter, Class of 1917,* the first male graduate of the new University City High School who raised millions of dollars for important causes
- W.L. Hadley Griffin, Class of 1936,* St. Louis business and civic leader
- Arthur Litz, Class of 1941, lawyer, judge and civic leader
- Maureen Arthur, Class of 1952,* stage, movie and television actor
- Richard Breiner, Class of 1953,* lawyer, judge and civil rights activist
- Sheldon Breiner, Class of 1955,* inventor in the field of magnetometers and historical artifact finder
- Justina Bricka, Class of 1961, international Women’s single and doubles tennis champion
- Stephen Gerber, Class of 1965,* animated film/television and comic book creator
- Sheri Sherman, Class of 1965, community volunteer, event maker and theater booster
- Richard Weiss, Class of 1969, print journalist with a focus on race, equity and underserved communities
- Dr. Michael Shannon, Class of 1970,* groundbreaking African American physician and Harvard medical school professor
- Richard Smith, Class of 1973, internationally recognized potterer and champion of the Wyandot language and people
- Jerryl Christmas, Class of 1981, attorney and social justice advocate
- Gary Boyd, Class of 1982, a hospitality professional, community advocate and television host of the local program “Them Yo People”
- Petra Jackson, Class of 1982, acclaimed women’s professional basketball player and coach
- Dorthea B. Nevils, Class of 1984, dedicated high school teacher and youth advocate
- George Harper Jr., Class of 1987, highly decorated Naval Petty Officer First Class, retired
- Roderick Smith, Class of 1987,* keyboardist, music producer and gospel singer
- Michael Silverman, Class of 1989, record-breaking musician with dozens of top albums on the classical, world music and New Age charts
- Tanya Smith-Johnson, Class of 1994, national leader in the field of midwifery and national advocate for accessible prenatal/midwife care in marginalized communities
LINKS and more information:
- Tickets are available online via Eventbrite (UCHS-HOF-2023.eventbrite.com) through Sept. 25, 2023. Early-bird single tickets and donations for student tickets are $50 per person if purchased by Sept. 15, 2023. No "at-door" tickets will be sold.
- Prospective event sponsors - please email email@example.com directly to discuss details.
- Eventbrite is the preferred method for event tickets and donations. If you wish to make a donation by check or cash, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (314) 290-4001 for details.
- Click here to be added to the mail (deadline August 15, 2023) or email invitation (deadline Sept. 15, 2023) list
- Homecoming 2023 for Saturday, Sept. 30:
- "Hometown Showdown" Parade begins at 10 a.m. from the Lion Gates, west on Delmar to Hanley north to Balson.
- Homecoming football game against Affton is scheduled for 1 p.m. kick-off. Cost is $5 for adults, $3 for students and free for children under 10. Tickets are available online at www.ucityschools.org/093023Football. Note: A Clear Bag policy is in effect for all athletic activities. Visit www.ucityschools.org/Athletics for spectator guidelines.
- Additional alumni activites are being organized by the UCHS AA - details available at www.UCHSAlumniUnited.com.
- List of past inductees and link to individual bios
- Nomination Information - The deadline for induction cycles is the last Friday in January of the year of the induction ceremony.
- To opt-in to receive information from the District including future alumni events, visit www.ucityschools.org/StayConnected
- Questions: Call Communications Office at (314) 290-4016 or email email@example.com