About Our School
School Mission: The UCHS staff works with all students to promote intelligent thinking, responsible choices, and lifelong learning for productive citizenship.
University City High School Building HistoryThe Art Deco-styled school opened in 1930 as part of the University City Education District.The building is listed on the National Register as of 1985 and included in the University City Education Complex Historic District as of 1987.In 1936, the Auditorium was added and later named Charles A. Banks Auditorium. The new gym was built for the 1953-54 school year. In Feb. 2011, it was named the Edward Crenshaw Gymnasium and the basketball court was named for 1976 graduate Hasan Houston. Later in the 1950s, the Natatorium was built.Thanks to the passage of a bond issue, the school stadium was renovated and renamed for coaches Muhl and Schemmer on May 9, 1999. The field hockey field was named for Virginia Dicus on Oct. 17, 2008. Extensive renovations including science labs and the entry foyer were completed with 2009 Proposition U bond issue funds. The 2013 bond issue funded renovations to the performing arts floor, gymnasiums, band and choir rooms; and the new Library Media Center addition opened during the 2015-16 school year and was named for retiring superintendent Joylynn Pruitt, Ed.D.
The following is a list of our high school principals and their tenures:
- J.E. Baker 1919-1957
- Wesley Kettelkamp 1957-1958
- Dr. Mark Boyer 1958-1970
- Russell Tuck 1970-1971
- James Lanman1970-1971
- Earl Beeks 1971-1978
- Dr. Keith Shaham 1978-1982
- Dan McWhorter 1982-1986
- Doris Randolph 1986-1988
- Sam Austin 1988-1990
- Michael Thacker 1990-1996
- Charles Coker 1996-1998
- Dr. Elizabeth Bender 1998-2008
- Christopher Blumenhorst 2008-2009 (interim)
- Timothy Werrantin 2009-2011
- Dayle Burgdorf 2011-2012 (interim)
- Michael Maclin 2012-2016
- Susan Hill 2016-2018
- Dr. Mike Peoples 2018-present
Photo courtesy of University City Public Library Archives circa 1930.