About Our School
Mission: The mission of Barbara C. Jordan is to become a well-rounded learning community with high expectations for all students and staff to ensure success for all.
Vision: The administration and staff at Barbara C. Jordan Elementary School believe that through focused, data-driven instruction, high expectations, and parent/community involvement, students will be motivated and expected to reach high academic success in a positive and safe learning environment. This environment fosters self-worth, pride in school and community and the ability to compete globally.
Barbara C. Jordan School HistoryIt opened in 1952 as Daniel Boone Elementary, designed by architect William B. Ittner. In 1996, it was renamed Barbara C. Jordan after the distinguished African American U. S. Representative from Texas. In 2009, the voters in University City approved Prop U, a $53 million bond issue, to include the construction of a new LEED-certified school building. Due to construction in 2009-11, students were temporarily relocated to the McNair Building on Groby Road.In the fall of 2011, Barbara C. Jordan welcomed back its students, including some new students from the Nathaniel Hawthorne Elementary attendance area, to the new, state-of-the-art facility that included supportive, technology infrastructure; a library media center; a kiln room and flexible learning spaces.
Photos courtesy of University City Public Library Archives... above circa 1960; left circa 1930.