Important Note: Coronavirus Prevention and Our Schools
Updated March 23, 2020
The School District of University City in partnership with regional health offices and governmental authorities have closed classrooms through April 22 2020, in response to the COVID-19, coronavirus.
The health, safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priorities. Our community fully supports current health recommendations to stay home and avoid unnecessary social contact to better prevent the transmission of the virus.
We continue to monitor the situation and guidance from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS), the St. Louis County Health Department and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
We all play a role in reducing the likelihood of a coronavirus outbreak. We encourage everyone to practice good habits, including:
- Wash your hands regularly, especially after using the restroom and before preparing or consuming food. Using soap and hot water, wash for about 20 seconds. Be sure to also wash your fingertips.
- Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, and then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze into your arm.
- As much as you can, avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
- If children are feeling sick, please keep them home from school. Allow them some time to feel better so that they do not risk infecting others.
- Practice "social distancing." Stay home and avoid unnecessary contact with large groups of people. As of March 15, authorities in the City of St. Louis and St. Louis county have restricted gatherings of more than 50 people.
Additional Resource Links:
- City of University City:
- St. Louis County Department of Health:
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS):
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- COVID-19: http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- COVID-19 Situation Summary: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Printable fact sheets: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/communication/factsheets.html
- Guidance for travelers: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/communication-resources.html
- Guidance for schools: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/index.html
- DHSS COVID-19 fact sheet: health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/communicable/novel-coronavirus/pdf/novel-coronavirus-factsheet.pdf
- Downloadable PDF of the above flyer in English / Spanish
Click here for archived letters from Superintendent Sharonica Hardin-Bartley to families regarding the District's response to COVID-19.