They're back: Oh, the places “U’ll” go!
UCHS students visited Washington DC for ultimate field trip
For most high school students, field trips are far and in between, not considered cool and include jaunts to local venues like the zoo.
Twenty-six University City High School students bucked that trend – and instead – traveled to Washington, D.C. for the “ultimate field trip.”
Besides visiting educational and cultural institutions including George Washington University, Howard University, the National Mall and Memorial Parks, the group witnessed the 57th Presidential Inauguration.
Michael Maclin, principal at University City High School, attended the District’s Fall Legislative Breakfast, which was organized to help the District and local representatives collaborate to make good things happen for students.
The generosity of the following benefactors provided for the student’s travel, lodging, and other needs while they were abroad. Contributors included:
- Anonymous donors
- Leo and Kay Drey, parents of three UCHS alumni
- Dynamic Vending, which provides high-quality vending machines
- Rep. Rory Ellinger
- Herff Jones, which manufactures class rings and other graduation materials
- Pi Pizzeria in Washington, D.C. (sister company to the Delmar Loop
location), which serves award-winning thin and deep crust pizza, provided an in-kind dinner buffet of pizza, salad and drinks
The group arrived Jan. 18 and departed Jan. 21. Besides those already mentioned, scheduled activities included a whirlwind tour of the White House and visits to the Supreme Court Building, Library of Congress, Washington Cathedral, Arlington Cemetery, Washington Monument, various memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, Martin Luther King Jr., Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Vietnam, Korean, and World War II), the Smithsonian museum, and other local sites.
The following students with exemplary attendance, grades, behavior and winning essays enjoyed the weekend trip:
Juniors Marlynna Blumer, Deja Bowie, Alexis Kozhevsky, Molly Paterson, Rashad Scales, Reneise White and Darion Young.
Seniors Camaron Ballard, Grace Deitzler, Ethan Farber, Lafayette Gatewood, Taylor Gibson, Eliana Hudson, Alexis Jones, Courtney Lee, Madelin Mattli, Janae Miller, Ursula Monaghan, Abigail Mutrux, Daniel Politte, Samuel Polzin, Carl Sechrist, Jeffrey Standifer, Aun'Yiea Watson, Aubrey Williams and Da Sha Windham.
The students wrote about the following topic: Describe the most memorable moment of the Presidential Election of 2012 excluding Nov. 6 and 7; explain how the issues of the 2012 Presidential Election impact your life.
The juniors and seniors traveled with the following chaperones:
Cassandra Conner, science teacher; Shenelle Dubose, instructional facilitator; Matthew Horn, social studies teacher; Katy-Jane Johnson, counselor; David Lewis, safety and security supervisor; April Pezzolla, social studies teacher; Linda Pritchard, A+ and student community service coordinator; Michael Maclin, principal; and Stephen Wurst, industrial technology teacher.
The students will complete a service project and later give a presentation at the 7 p.m. Feb. 21 Board meeting.
Click here for "Photo Album" article posted during trip. These and additional photos are being uploaded to photo slide shows below:
|DC Trip Day 1: Departure||DC Trip Day 1 afternoon: Capitol Building||DC Trip Day 1 evening: Roosevelt Memorial|
Be sure to check back here often for updates and photographs.
Related news coverage links:
- U City students return home from inauguration St. Louis News.Net 0123213
- UCHS students return from inaugural trip UC Patch 012313
- University City High School students return home from inauguration KSDK 012213
- Inauguration to be a convergence of a 'hope' and a 'dream' StLouisnews.net 012113
- University City High School students will witness the inauguration KTVI, 8 a.m. 012113
- University City High School students will witness the inauguration KTVI, 7 a.m. 012113
- University City High School students will witness the inauguration KTVI, 6 a.m. 012113
- U. City students 'electrified' by Obama's inaugural speech - St. Louis Beacon 012113
- Inauguration on MLK Day to be a convergence of a 'hope' and a 'dream' : Stltoday 012113
- U City High students part of 'incredible' inauguration scene : Stltoday 012113
- Students head to inauguration CNN 011913
- UCHS Students Will Be on CNN Today UC Patch 011913
- University City students head to D.C. for Inauguration PD 011813
- 5 a.m. inauguration stand up KSDK 011813
- University City High School students headed to D.C. to watch inauguration KSDK 011813
- U. City students are inauguration bound! SLA 011713
- U. City students heading for inauguration in D.C. Beacon 011513
- U City students win a trip to presidential inauguration 011113
- U City students win a trip to presidential inauguration KSDK 011013
- Community effort is sending UCHS students to inauguration UC Patch 122312