School begins Wednesday, Aug. 22
With summer nearly over, students and parents are starting to think about the back-to-school to-do list. This page is designed to provide quick links to important information about the 2012-13 school year so parents and students have necessary information for a successful start to the new year. The first day of school is Wednesday, Aug. 22 for all students except freshmen at University City High School, who will start on Friday, Aug. 17. Click here for school start and end times.
Enrollment and Re-Enrollment Requirements
New students to the District and any student changing schools for any reason must enroll or re-enroll with the District. Current students entering the third grade are also required to re-enroll. Re-enrollment requires verifying student information and supplying proof of residence. For complete details, please see the Enrolling Your Child page. Parents may visit their child's school office from 9 a.m. to noon and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to complete the enrollment or enrollment verification process. Not sure which elementary school your child should attend? Click here to find your school.
School Supply Lists
Supply lists are available on each school's Web page with the exception of University City High School. Supplies at UCHS depend on the student's classes, and more information is available to students at course registration or schedule pickup.
Parents are encouraged to check the bus routes posted online regularly prior to the beginning of school for updates. Students directly affected by a change in bus route should receive an updated letter prior to the first day of school.
Course Registration and Schedule Pickup Dates
Please note: All incoming middle and high school students must complete the enrollment verification process through the school registrar's office prior to attending a schedule pickup and course registration day.
- Schedule pickup for 6-8 graders at Brittany Woods (8125 Groby Road): Aug. 8 from noon to 7 p.m. and Aug. 9 from 8 a.m. to noon. If you miss the schedule pickup dates listed above, call 314-290-4293 to schedule an appointment before school begins.
- Registration for 9-12 graders at University City High School (7401 Balson Ave.): July 31 and Aug. 2 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Aug. 7 from 8 a.m. to noon. If you missed the registration dates listed above, call 314-4110 to schedule an appointment before school begins.
The District conducts free DIAL III developmental screenings for University City preschoolers who are age three by July 31 and requires the screening for children entering kindergarten who are age five before Aug. 1.
- Preschool screening: Aug. 7 and 8. Please call 314-721-2965 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Kindergarten screenings begin during school at:
Barbara C. Jordan Elementary School on Sept. 4
Flynn Park Elementary School on Aug. 30
Jackson Park Elementary School on Sept. 6
Pershing Elementary School on Sept. 11
Before- and After-School Care
Before- and after-school care is available for preschool and elementary students at a modest cost.
- The YWCA School-Age Program is offered at Barbara C. Jordan, Flynn Park and Jackson Park Elementary Schools. Please call 314-725-7203 or visit www.YWCAStLouis.org for details.
- The Monsanto YMCA's Y-Club is offered at Pershing and Julia Goldstein ECEC. Please call 314-367-4646 for details.